7 interesting things about Korea

So I have been in Korea for three months! Can you believe it's been that long since I left home to begin this great adventure? I'm surprised because on some days it feels like I've BEEN here for a while, while on other days it feels like I've just arrived. While here I have come across a few things that made me stop dead in my tracks and say “Hol’ up, hol’ up, hol’ up? What’s happening here?” and there have been many others which I wished we had back home. To celebrate my first three months here I have put together 7 interesting things about Korea.

There are couples everywhere.

I put this first because, well I’m single and there is nowhere you feel more single than when you are surrounded by couples right? So that is one of the first things I noticed here. Couples are everywhere! Literally everywhere! The couple culture here is encouraged greatly with special days dedicated to love- apart from Valentine’s Day. Some stores even sell matching outfits for couples to rock and look ‘oh so cute' in and there are apparently restaurants especially for couples. Surprisingly, I haven't seen much PDA but that doesn't mean they don't hang on each other and look dreamily into each other's eyes for long periods of time. And no I'm not jelly- or maybe I am but that's not the point- I was just surprised to see how every second person you walk past on the street has got another person's hand firmly gripped in theirs.

The subway system can be confusing.

Me trying to figure out the Seoul Subway map.
In my country, there is no subway system so I was pretty anxious about trying it out. There are so many lines going everywhere – how was I going to figure it out? Where do you go to in order to transfer lines if where you are going to is not on the line that you are on? Do you buy a ticket or is there a card you buy which can be recharged? It was confusing and overwhelming to take the subway train alone but I just had to be strong. At EPIK orientation, they gave us this book that contained the Busan subway map. That book became my companion. I never went anywhere without it and would literally turn around to fetch it if I realised that I had left it behind.
Now, I can confidently say I have got this Busan subway thing on lock-down, although I occasionally pull out the subway map App on my phone to double check. I say Busan subway because it is worth mentioning that the Seoul subway is on another level. Where Busan has about four lines, Seoul's system has about more than nine different lines. Imagine how hectic that is?

The night is young!

Do people here even sleep? The night time is bustling and everyone comes out to play, even the young ones. I mean aren't children supposed to be sleeping at like nine? Not here. You can easily spot a young person walking home alone late at night. Restaurants are buzzing, people are shopping and children are coming from private academies late at night and it is normal. Some supermarkets, clothing stores and traditional markets stay open past ten o' clock on weekdays so it is convenient because you don't have to wait until the weekend to do your shopping if you knock off late. Speaking of convenience, I was shocked to find out that the local spaza – known here as a convenience store- doesn't sell bread! Like I don't get it, they don't sell bread but, lo and behold, they sell alcohol.

Sky Scrappers.

I've seen tall buildings – there are many in Johannesburg and Cape Town -but here they are everywhere and they are really tall. There are apartment buildings that have more than 20 floors- I'm not kidding. My first thought was like "What happens when there is a fire?" but apparently the architects have considered this so there are measures in place but shucks, it's a lot!  Korea is a small country and it has been said that it is about the size of the Western Cape province in South Africa. As small as it is, it has a large population of about more than 50 million people. So imagine all of those 50 million people living in the Western Cape? There would definitely be an issue of space. So because there is not enough space to build on, they have to resort to building upwards. Most families in the cities live in apartment buildings with only a few owning houses.

A top view of Busan.

Sharing is caring.

The eating culture in Korea is one of sharing. It is one of the things I love about Korea. Koreans share meals with each other and you can find restaurants that don't allow you to eat alone. Korean meals include rice, kimchi and many side dishes that accompany the main dish. You can order something simple and your table will be filled with little dishes of rice, soup, kimchi and other side dishes which make the main dish more interesting.
Dakdoritang.

While I’m on this topic about food, I will say that I have come across foods that I really like and some which I would rather do without. There is this dish called Bibimpap, which is a rice dish that has vegetable and meat toppings. You mix them together and add some soy sauce and you have yourself a great meal. I also love this chicken stew meal called Dakdoritang, it is delicious, warm and hearty. I am not a fan of Korean street food or rice cakes. I once ate this sausage that is made from pork blood and that has put me off street food for the foreseeable future. But my friends really love tteokbokkie (thick rice noodles in a sauce) and fish cakes so I guess it’s different strokes for different folks.

The culture of sharing is one that I will definitely adopt as not only does it save you money, it also helps keep your weight in check.

Bottoms up!

People here drink. I know a few people who would fit in really well here based on this alone. Drinking is not only a thing but it is encouraged. I mentioned before that convenience stores- and there is one at almost every corner – sell alcohol. You can literally buy it and drink it while walking around. Korean's have their own drink called ‘Soju' which is almost like your vodkas and gin. It is strong and tasteless but they love it. Apparently, there are flavoured sojus but I haven’t tried them yet. They also love beer and often mix the soju with the beer. Wow! The other day, I was surprised to walk into a Home Plus- a supermarket-  and find bottles of Savanna and Strongbow. Did I not swiftly add them to my grocery list? Hahaha. 

Spit, spit, spit everywhere! Eeewwww!

This has to be the most disturbing thing here, well that and the stinky open sewers! Yikes! People spit everywhere- even on tiles! Like I can't! This REALLY gets to me. I understand that when nature calls we must respond but can you use a tissue? On any given moment you could easily walk past a man pulling that phlegm all the way from deep within and spitting it out on the floor in the subway station as if it ain’t even a thang! I mean I can understand you spitting on sand but TILES? Who must clean that ish up? No man!


Anyway, these are just some of the many things I found interesting- and shocking while living here in Korea. Overall, Korea is an interesting place and I have met many kind and warm-hearted people –young and old- who have tried their best to make me feel welcome and that is one thing that I can say I love most about this place- it’s people.
Sharing a meal with strangers on the side of the road.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, apart from the spitting, sorry about. Home misses you too Ms Tladi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zweli. Yeah the spitting is gross hahaha

      Delete
  3. I heard about the Chinese spitting from a colleague. She says even in planes it goes on. Intriguing indeed 😱

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Instagram